Project: Mouse

20 01 2015

I haven’t abandoned this blog! It’s just life getting in the way as usual. In a 2 week time span, I’ve traveled to a tropical vacation spot and will travel to a frozen cold business city. Then there was the biopsy business which was totally not cool except for the fact that I’m now technically part titanium. And I’m enough of a nerd to be excited about that.

Anyway, I’ve been making time for little craft projects. Last summer, I fell in love with this line of vegetable/animal figurines called Homegrown. OMG. They are the cutest! I can’t decide which of them to buy yet, so in the meantime I decided to try making the rutabaga mouse out of old polymer clay.

mouse1

You’re probably supposed to use foil or an armature for the body, but I thought I’d try to get away with making it smaller without that stuff.

mouse2

Rough. Man, is it hard to get things smooth! By the time I baked it, it looked pretty okay. Then I knocked its ear off. And then its arm fell off. 😦

mouse3

However! I epoxy-ed it all back together, and the acrylics worked brilliantly. You can see the picture of the Enesco/Homegrown version behind it. It’s much better than mine, but I’m still pretty proud of it. Oh, and those are a couple of random, in-process, clay swans on the painting foil.

Cute!

Cute!

The cooking time confuses me, because the clay package said 15 minutes for every 1/4 inch, but the mouse’s body was so much thicker than the rest. I ended up burning the bottom of him, but! paint fixes all.

Advertisements

Actions

Information

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s




%d bloggers like this: